The formation of rust is not only unsightly; it can eventually cause irreparable damage to the surface of the object affected. Although rust removal can be a challenging task, it’s neither impossible nor does it require hours of sanding with abrasives or the use of harsh chemicals.
There are several chemical based products on the market that contain some form of acid, typically phosphoric acid that can be used for rust removal. Whilst being quick and effective, these can be harmful to the user and are not safe for the environment.
Why Evapo-Rust is Different
Evapo-Rust is an environmentally safe, water-based rust remover which works on all types of mild steel and iron. The result of extensive research, Evapo-Rust offers a quick, simple and effective way of restoring anything rusty, from automotive parts and components, rusted tools, cast iron radiators through to BBQ grills, leaving a ‘like-new’ condition and finish.
- Constituted of non-toxic, non-corrosive, non-flammable ingredients
- Safe on skin
- Requires no special equipment, since it does not contain acids, alkalis or petroleum solvents
- No fumes or bad odours, non-flammable, no VOC’s
- Biodegradable, water soluble
- Removes even heavy rust completely
- Will not harm un-rusted steel, safe on other metals
- Will not affect plastic, PVC and most paints
- Works at room temperature
- Can stop rust from reforming for up to 4 weeks
Evapo-Rust works by bonding to iron molecules. While it can remove iron from iron oxide, it is too weak to remove iron from steel where the molecules are held much more strongly. Once removed, Evapo-Rust remains water soluble, freeing the bonding agent to remove more iron from rust.
How To Use
1. Pre-clean item to remove oil and dirt. Pour a sufficient amount of EVAPO-RUST in a container to completely cover the rusted object.
2. Rinse and immerse the rusty object in the solution and leave it for up to 2 hours for light to medium rust, or overnight for extremely heavy rust. Check progress periodically.
3. Once rust is removed, rinse item with water. Repeat process if deep rust remains in pits, until all of it is gone. Un-rusted metal will not be affected.
NOTE: This stage is very important in getting the best results
4. Dip the item back into a new container of Evapo-Rust* to prevent re-rusting. Allow the item to air dry to prevent rust for up to four weeks.
*Reuse Evapo-Rust to remove fur rust but to prevent re-rusting, a new one should be preferred.
Evapo-Rust can be re-used continually until performance drops and the solution turns completely black. Only the iron content of the solution dictates the disposal method since it does not contain any toxins. In most cases, it can be safely put down the drain.
Evapo-Rust is now available from FPS and catalogued under the Maintenance & Accessories section on the F:Drive. Speak to your local FPS representative for stockist information on the product.