Owen Springs has over 30 years of experience producing quality springs and are members of the Institute of Spring Technology. However, their enthusiasm for springs isn’t limited to the years they’ve been in business. Between a library of almost every leaf spring produced in the last 60 years and an archive of classic car specifications from as far back as the 1920’s, their expertise should not be underestimated.
Leaf springs are essential to carrying the weight of the vehicle. Not only do they absorb the shocks caused by uneven roads, they absorb the acceleration and braking forces of the vehicle. Therefore, it is vital that the right part is used, and fitted correctly.
Follow these tips to avoid complications later:
- Check the build, form and notes within the Owen MAM catalogue against the old spring before selection.
- Leaf springs should always be replaced in axle pairs.
- Check and clean all fitting points, and repair or replace as necessary
As U-bolts secure the leaf spring to the vehicle, they are equally important. Since old, stretched and loose U-bolts are often the hidden cause of broken springs, they should always be replaced rather than re-used.
Owen advises that you check the following when attaching U-bolts:
- How many U-bolts are required? Two U-bolts are required per leaf spring for the majority of applications, i.e. four per axle set, so you don’t want to be caught short.
- Dirty or damaged mounting points can allow U-bolts to work loose, and should be replaced as necessary
- Loose U-bolts will allow movement and can lead to the spring breaking around the centre bolt area, so ensure the bolts are tightened to the correct torque.
The Owen range of U-bolts is universal, suitable for either standard or heavy-duty leaf springs, and has been designed to cover the majority of applications. Some are longer than necessary for certain applications, and should be cut to the correct length during installation.
FPS lists over 150 Owen leaf springs and more than 30 U-bolts. All of their products are manufactured to OE specifications and accredited to ISO 9001. In addition, they come with an unlimited mileage 12-month warranty. Find the parts you need on the F:Drive, or speak to your local FPS representative for more information.